Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Inside Nan: Baseball and Life

This is the first blog I followed. 37 Days. That's not how long I followed it, that's the blog title. I still follow it, sometimes it is so real I can't, but mostly I do. I'm talking about it today because I am thinking about prison and crime and mistakes. Back in 2007 Patti Digh of 37 Days wrote this post: Explore Your Prison Cell. Not long after I saw the Point of View (POV) film "What I Want My Words to Do to You" by Eve Ensler. The film goes inside a writing workshop led by playwright and activist Eve Ensler, consisting of 15 women, most of whom were convicted of murder. Here's that photo of Rush City Correctional Facility again -- notice the baseball diamonds on the grounds. Now I'll try to explain about this post -- Baseball and Life. Yesterday was opening day for the 2009 Baseball Season. My home town team the Minnesota Twins lost 6-1 to the Seattle Mariners. Today in my request stack at the library was James Preller's new book "Mighty Casey". James can tell you about baseball. He's a little league coach. And James can tell you about Life. The capital letter Life. Read Six Innings. Anyway, here's the last line in the dedication for Mighty Casey. "Bases loaded, two outs, I'm rootin' for ya." Thanks JP. Play Ball.

No comments: