Sunday, January 25, 2009

Inside Nan: While We're Waiting

This feeling of waiting - and the song (music and lyrics by Fred Rogers) that always comes - is part of my growing up. Click on the link and then on the Audio File below Mister Rogers picture.




Let's think of something to do while we're waiting
While we're waiting for something new to do.
Let's try to think up a song while we're waiting
That's liberating and will be true to you.
Let's think of something to do while we're waiting
While we're waiting 'til something's through.
You know it's really all right;
In fact, it's downright quite bright
To think of something to do
That's specific for you.
Let's think of something to do while we're waiting.
Now while we listen and remember whatever all it brings back, let me say this: When I say "growing up" I don't mean a distant past, although some of it happened then, but an ongoing process that is rarely painless, always turbulent, and sometimes/often involves waiting. These last few years I've tried to embrace waiting without the "I can't wait for..." feeling. I learned a long time ago from a philosophy professor in college that to say "I can't wait" was to negate the present and more and more I sense that less and less of the present is still mine. All my time is so precious. So today I salute the moment -- remembering all my sisters and brothers who wait with me for the fun announcements of tomorrow morning...

No comments: