Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Coraline

Coraline by Neil Gaiman, P. Craig Russell (Illustrator), Lovern Kindzierski (Illustrator)
Coraline's often wondered what's behind the locked door in the drawing room. It reveals only a brick wall when she finally opens it, but when she tries again later, a passageway mysteriously appears. Coraline is surprised to find a flat decorated exactly like her own, but strangely different. And when she finds her "other" parents in this alternate world, they are much more interesting despite their creepy black button eyes. When they make it clear, however, that they want to make her theirs forever, Coraline begins a nightmarish game to rescue her real parents and three children imprisoned in a mirror. With only a bored-through stone and an aloof cat to help, Coraline confronts this harrowing task of escaping these monstrous creatures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

...An electrifyingly creepy tale likely to haunt young readers for many moons...

Anonymous said...

...a good edge-of-your-seat read without being terribly frightening. For those children who like to be scared...

La-la said...

I would call this story creepy. The button eyes really got to me. I think this is a good spooky tale for the older kids and it will kind of creep them out a bit I think. This was my first venture into a graphic novel and it was a bit hard for me at first to really get into the book, but by the end I was enjoying the story even with the pictures. I will give this one 3 ***. It won't win any awards, but it is a good book to read late at night before bed.....if you can handle it....

librarycat said...

This is not normally the kind of book I would choose to read, but I figured I needed to read at least one graphic novel, and this one seemed more interesting than the manga books. To prepare myself, I read the original book first. The graphic novel followed the original story closely, and the illustrations were well done. The story was nightmarishly creepy-guaranteed to give more sensitive children bad dreams. I'll give it 2 1/2 **.