Friday, February 27, 2009

Inside Nan: Skulls by Noah Scalin

Skulls by Noah Scalin
From the Introduction, page 7: "on June 4th, 2007 I cut a skull out of orange paper and posted it online with the note, I'm making a skull image every day for a year."





I inter-library loaned this book - it came to me from Washington County Library System. I had a tangle of thoughts going on that were sorting themselves into an "Inside Nan". This isn't the post yet that I am working on, that one involves an editorial by Garrison Keillor and some obituaries. This post is about ideas for Summer Reading Programs and all the hoopla that goes with it. In late January comes the catalog with the product -- I guess that came this year about the same time there was a flurry in the blogs about books and "product" and that was a seed for this post. And I came across the Skull book. The theme is something like "Be Creative @ Your Library" -- OK this theme thing usually sends me off on some rant as well but for now I'm thinking about the idea of the discipline of creating something everyday for everyday of summer. Well, not me. Readers at the library. Readers who want to play Summer Reading Program. I'm not done with this yet, it is swirling. It's about programmed product I think and conformity and that resistance I have to "the way it has always been done"... I have to go get a haircut, back later...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This clip is seriously funny and zany. I've watched it more than once and appreciated laughing each time. Thanks for the posting... and I hope your haircut went fine! With ongoing appreciation, EJS